Status of the charter vote

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Tue May 25 20:40:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

At this point I do not know who hasn't voted.  And I am not sure that I should know as that is a difficult question at the cusp of privacy and transparency.

It is perhaps enough that the Software process knows and can send out duplicate ballots to those it has not received ballots from.

One of the reasons for picking a month for this vote, is that the membership is not used to votes based on the whole count  of members.  Few things are as important as accepting a new or revised charter and few things have that threshold.

So we started out with a 30 day voting period.  12 days have gone by - 40% of the time.  And we have only 27% of the vote.  Not great, but also, perhaps, par for the course in a process with 18 days to go.

As for what you and other members can do.  Reach out to those members you are close to or comfortable with and ask if they have voted.  If they haven't voted yet, ask them to do so and make sure that they have received the ballot and that it wasn't lost in their spam filter.

I thank you for the proposal to write up a synopsis of the Charter.  I am not sure that the complexity is the problem, and I am not sure that content might not be lost that would be critical to someone making their decision one way or another.  As someone who write synopses as part of my living, I am always concerned that the phrase I leave out, may indeed be what conveys the essential meaning to one reader.  then again I have voted in several local and state plebiscites where I only read the synopsis of the various bond issues and not the full text.  So what do I know?  I do not think we have time to develop an official synopsis, but perhaps one offered by another member  would be a help to someone and would be what convinced them to vote.

Thanks for asking/offering.

a.