ISOC-NY EVENT: dot nyc – How are we doing? May 8 @ NYU

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Fri May 7 05:03:09 CEST 2010

[Final reminder - live webcast available - please forward widely!]

Last October the NYC Department of Information Technology &
Telecommunications (DoITT) issued a request for proposals for
"services to obtain, manage, administer, maintain and market the
geographic Top Domain name .nyc.". At ICANN’s recent 37th meeting in
Nairobi, consensus was reached on the "overarching" issue of
intellectual property protection. This leaves only the issue of the
final (4th) draft of the Applicants Guidebook, expected before the
38th meeting in Brussels in June 2010, before the much delayed new
generic top level domain (gTLD) delegation process can finally grind
into action. (One caveat - a policy forbidding cross-ownership of
registries and registrars is still not totally set in stone.)

The Internet Society - New York Chapter (ISOC-NY) has for some years
been following the .nyc and ICANN process on behalf of the NYC
community and will, on May 8 2010, host a symposium "dot nyc - How are
we doing?" at NYU. At 1pm NYC Council Member Gale Brewer will deliver
keynote remarks, then Vendor Eric Brunner-Williams of CORE Internet
Council of Registrars will reveal details of their proposal to the
City, and Antony Van Couvering of Minds + Machines earlier comments to
the City Council concerning their proposal will be shown in video.
After a break there will be a discussion "What’s it for?" about
possible applications - civic, community, commercial, and "outside the
box" - for a local top level domain. Speakers include Tom Lowenhaupdt
of Connecting .nyc and Richard Knipel of Wikimedia NYC.

What: ISOC-NY Event: dot nyc - How are we doing?
When: Saturday May 8 2010 : 1pm - 4:30pm EST (1700-2030 UTC)
Where: Warren Weaver Hall NYU Rm102, 250 Mercer St, NY 10012
Who: Public Welcome. Admission Free.
Webcast: http://livestream.com/isocny
Sponsors: ISOC-NY; GatewaytoGov.org (webcast)
Meetup: http://internetpro.meetup.com/51/calendar/13100813/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=108703639164601
Event homepage: http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=1515

* Remote participation will be through the livestream chatroom.

Schedule:

Start 1pm

Keynote: Gale A. Brewer

Session 1 - How is it going to work?

Eric Brunner Williams - CORE
Antony Van Couvering - Minds + Machines (on video)

Session 2 - What’s it for?

Tom Lowenhaupdt - Connecting .nyc
Richard Knipel - Wikimedia NYC

Discussion.

Curfew: 4.30pm

Gale Brewer

Council Member Gale A. Brewer has been representing the Upper West
Side and Upper Clinton in the New York City Council since 2002. Gale
chaired the Committee on Technology in Government from 2002-2009, in
which she continues to sit. She currently chairs the Committee on
Governmental Operations.
http://council.nyc.gov/d6/html/members/home.shtml

Eric Brunner-Williams

Eric is Chief Technical Officer for CORE, an international
not-for-profit membership association of Internet domain name
registrars. As such he is responsible for the technical correctness of
CORE’s new TLD applications. Previous TLD applications he has
contributed technical content to, on behalf of several clients, are
.CAT, .ORG, .BIZ,.US, .COOP, and .MUSEUM. Eric was one of the
principle contributors to the IETF’s PROVREG Working Group which wrote
the EPP RFC series. Eric leads a gTLD project for Native American and
Indigenous Peoples, and is an active member in the extended California
and Oklahoma Cherokee, and Maine Abenaki communities.
http://www.corenic.org/en

Antony Van Couvering

Antony is CEO of Minds + Machines, a registry services and consulting
company for new TLDs. Antony has been working with domain names since
he founded Netnames USA in 1997. He started three domain name
companies (NetNames USA, RegisterFREE, and NameEngine) and later sold
them, the last one to VeriSign. He also started up several ccTLDs,
including .TM, .BT, .AS and others.
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/

Tom Lowenhaupt

Tom’s involvement with Internet governance began with comments he
filed on the NTIA’s 1998 Internet governance NPRM. He is a former long
time member of Community Board 15 in Queens, where the idea of the
establishment of a .nyc TLD as a public resouce was first mooted in
2001. In April 2007, invigorated by similar efforts in other
international cities, he formed ‘Connecting .nyc‘, a non-profit that
has been working since then to assure that the delegation and
operation of any such domain be in the the public interest of the NYC
community.
http://connectingnyc.org/

Richard Knipel

Richard is President of Wikimedia New York City, an affiliate of the
Wikimedia Foundation
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City

ISOC-NY

ISOC-NY is the Greater New York Metropolitan Area chapter of the
Internet Society. Founded in 1997 ISOC-NY is a 501c3 Charitable
Organization dedicated to assure the beneficial, open evolution of the
global Internet, to promote local initiatives, and to maximize the
societal benefits which the Internet can bring to the New York area.
ISOC-NY is an At-Large Structure in the North American Regional
At-Large Organization (NARALO), and also a member of the Non
Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC).
http://isoc-ny.org/