Proposed disposition - Re: Sinclair comments - Members review of Draft Proposed NCSG Charter

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Wed May 5 04:14:12 CEST 2010

Avri wrote:
> The topic of someone being an individual member as well as a member by virtue of belonging to an organization is challenging for me.

You misunderstood my concern. I absolutely agree with Milton that an
individual should not be accepted as in the SG as an individual by right of
employment/organisational membership when that organisation is also a member.
What I was concerned with was ensuring that someone who is an employee or
member of one or more organisations who are organisational members of NCSG,
but who also satisfies personally one or more of the other pre-requisites for
membership is not barred because their organisation is a member.

So, to use myself as an example again. I am employed by Meiji University and
a "member" (*) of the Open Rights Group. Both of these organisations satisfy
the organisational membership criteria, I believe.

However, I also personally satisfy the individual membership criteria in ways
other than being an employee/member of these organisations: I am a personal
domain name registrant and I do research into information ethics (academics
in this field in particular, and related ones such as IT Law, computer
science, business might well be worth particularly identifying as suitable
members whether or not their University is a member as a non-profit
educational institution).

What I wanted to ensure was that my right to individual membership is not
over-ridden by my status as employee/member of an organisation.

This could be fixed by separating out three types of membership:

1. Organisational Membership
2. Individual Membership as representative of an organisation
3. Individual Membership as an individual with a clear _personal_ interest in
the domain name system

Class 2 can be limited by decision of the EC to a maximum number of
individuals representing any particular organisation and denied for anyone
whose organisation is in Class 1. However, individual membership under class
3 is still allowed, even where an individual happens to be an employee/member
of an NCSG member organisation.

Profesor Andrew A Adams       aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration, and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan