Proposed NCUC/NCSG comment on the ICM Registry case

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Tue May 4 18:44:03 CEST 2010

I think the statement overall is clear, concise and well-drafted - thanks so much, Milton!

At the same time, I share Avri's concerns. Perhaps, instead of saying:

- "It would be shocking if ICANN chose to ignore or circumvent the requirements of the IRP decision. An appeals process that has effect only when the board feels like complying is no accountability mechanism at all"

We could say:

- "A Board decision that ignores or circumvents the IRP decision would seriously undermine ICANN's credibility and raise fundamental issues about its accountability mechanisms." (BTW, I really thought the sentences before and after the ones I pasted were absolutely pitch-perfect!)

Also, instead of saying:

-  "As advocates of civil liberties and freedom of expression, we believe it is unacceptable for a TLD string to be rejected simply because some people or some governments object to it. ICANN must not become a tool of those who want to discourage or censor certain kinds of legal content. We believe that ICANN should not be turning its coordination of top level domain names into mechanisms of content regulation or censorship"

How about:

- "While a .xxx domain is undeniably controversial, ICANN must guard against becoming a tool of those who wish to discourage or censor certain kinds of legal content. The Board's action with respect to the IRP decision will be potentially significant for future decisions involving morality and public order objections for new top level domains. ICANN's mandate to coordinate top level domain names cannot and should not become a mechanism for content regulation or censorship."

Cheers
Mar

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA