Local cost related to running a TLD

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Fri Mar 19 02:37:27 CET 2010

Jorge Amodio wrote:
>> Let's round it to $90,000 a year for a properly run registry.
>>

> This is completely unrealistic and off by at least an order of
> magnitude if you want to run a real/serious registry. You really need
> to review the technical and operational requirements to be/run a TLD.
>
> A registry/TLD operator is not a hot dog stand.
>
> My .02
> Jorge

Dear Jorge,

thanks for telling me that I had created and had been running a hot dog
stand for three years 1996/98 (after having established the first system
connecting the country to the internet in 1994 and serving more than
1,500 subscribers before bigger companies started to set up "proper"
operations for which I assigned them their domains).

Actually, our hot dog stand was cheaper than US$90,000 per year.

Norbert Klein
Phnom Penh/Cambodia

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

This is the latest weekly editorial of the Mirror:

The Passing of the Anti-Corruption Law, and Planned Changes in Telecommunications
Sunday, 14.3.2010

http://tinyurl.com/yavafd3
(to read it, click on the line above.)

And here is something new every day: