How about a "." (nothing) TLD?

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Thu Mar 18 17:23:34 CET 2010

Not sure if I'm explaining it right. A full name would be:

www.google.com. <- note the final period.

Although we don't type it - it's technically there. The "." is the root
servers. The root servers then look at the TLD and refer the request to
the TLDs servers i.e. com, net, org, info, biz etc.

But - if the TLD were private then the root servers would reference the
private name server that could return an A record for the TLD itself.
This if Google Inc. owned the "google" TLD then the user would oble have
to type in google rather than google.com. And why not?

In order to do that you would need however registrars who would be able
to register and sell private TLDs just like they sell .com domains.
Essentially the TLD would be a domain. But it would be a domain off of
the "." TLD technically.

Does everyone at least understand what I'm saying?