Local cost related to running a TLD

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 18 16:40:46 CET 2010

Agreed,

but I really don't have any solid estimates, coming out with numbers
out of thin air does not provide what Avri and the NCSG is looking
for. The biggest offset I can think of about running a gTLD in a
developing country is cost of labor.

Cheap servers won't do it, I find hard to believe that anybody trying
to apply to become a registry and gTLD operator will pass the
technical evaluation without a solid understanding and plan to deploy
reliable and up to the task infrastructure, it's not just a pair of
linux boxes running bind.

I agree with Avri that probably the best approach is to put together a
working group and do some study and number crunching and perhaps put
together a paper that helps to develop some solid foundation.

I should start by reviewing the DAGv3 and other documentation to
clearly identify, first one time costs like the initial application
fee $185K (that by the way is not the grand total if you happen to
have a string that will require further evaluation and/or dispute
resolution, that may add another $120K to the bill) and then recurring
fees based on the standard registry contract terms, for example a
registry will have to pay ICANN and annual fixed fee of U$S 6,250 plus
a variable fee based on the number of transactions performed by the
registry.

We can guesstimate the equipment and services costs for what kind of
infrastructure is required to operate the name servers and back end
systems for a given size registry.

IMHO the best way to approach this and come out with reasonable and
arguable numbers is to put together a draft business plan, an
associated budget and financial projections.

There are many things that are being left in the current discussion
about what I refer to run a "real" operation, for example ICANN
requires that the applicant and gTLD operator is a corporation,
institution or organization of some type, no individuals or sole
ownership, you must take in account insurance, a legal reserve fund
and many other little things that affect the bottom line.

Have to go now, I don't have the time right now to do the entire
exercise by myself but I may have some bandwidth available to
contribute in a working group.

Regards
Jorge