Local cost related to running a TLD

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Thu Mar 18 15:05:26 CET 2010

Hi,

I see two issues here:

- what does it mean to run a real/realistic registry.  In this are the rules being defined in such a way that real/realistic means big like Affilias  or Core? It was the intent of the GNSO that the technical criteria take the element of size into account.  I can't believe that a small registry - a few hundred-thousand names/year to start would need 900KUSD per year.  How do you define real/realistic?

- and what are the charges if one uses a registry service provider, like core, that is wiling to work out reasonable charges for the developing nation registry?  while I very much would like to see registry service providers spring up in developed countries, I think it is reasonable to assume that many if not most new registries would base their initial offering on the services provided by one of the exiting registry service providers or their local ccTLD.  and if one is using a registry service provider, what does it take to be the front end registry?

a.