[ncsg-policy] NCSG mtg with the ICANN Board.

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sat Mar 6 16:56:49 CET 2010

On this issue, they will undoubtedly reply that there was a public announcement Dec 3 and we failed to put anyone forward. What they won’t say is that the membership in this group was vetted and if no they could have made an effort to attain some kind of political balance reflecting the longstanding divisions over privacy/data protection. Also that putting up a web page in the middle of December that asks you to read two weighty reports before even knowing what the group is doing and then forming the group after only ten days is not all that conducive to participation.

3. Parity in ICANN policy-making process w/r/t inclusion of noncommercial interests
3a. Unfortunately, we have yet another instance where ad hoc creation of an advisory group (that has potential to influence policy) results in draft report which fails to include noncommercial interests, much less address potential policy conflict. In this case, the zone file access (ZFA) advisory group failed to adequately consider in its draft report how a uniform, third-party ZFA contract might impact and conflict with the variance in national privacy laws concerning registrant data.  If ICANN's intent is to make consensus policy it is imperative that its processes, including "advisory groups," include all perspectives - from the start.
3b. On a positive note!  Thx for providing the opportunity to discuss noncommercial interests with the Board. Having met in Seoul and now in Nairobi, we believe these regular f-2-f interactions benefit both the Board and noncommercial interests and hope they will become a regularly scheduled occurrence going forward.

a.