Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Survey of IPv6 Availability on Commercial Firewalls

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 19:29:04 CET 2010

And what about consumers/end users ? I think it would be nice if ICANN
also funds a similar survey for consumer grade CPE (Customer Premises
Equipment).

What's the opinion of other NCSG members about this subject ?

Regards
Jorge

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ICANN News Alert <communications at icann.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM
Subject: ICANN News Alert -- Survey of IPv6 Availability on Commercial Firewalls
To: jmamodio at gmail.com

ICANN News Alert

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-01mar10-en.htm

________________________________

Survey of IPv6 Availability on Commercial Firewalls

ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) is conducting
a survey of the commercial firewall market to obtain information
relating to IPv6 security service availability. The purpose of this
survey is to update and compare the results against a similar survey
SSAC conducted in October 2007, see Survey of IPv6 Support Among
Commercial Firewalls [SAC 021
http://www.icann.org/en/committees/security/sac021.pdf] [PDF, 236 KB].

The initial survey invited vendors of commercial firewalls to answer
certain questions:

* How broadly is IPv6 transport supported by commercial firewalls?
* Is IPv6 support available from commercial firewalls for all market segments?
* Which commonly used security enforcement features can be deployed
from commercial firewalls when IPv6 transport is used?
* Can an organization enforce a security policy from commercial
firewalls when using IPv6 that is commensurate to a policy currently
supported when IPv4 is used?

SSAC invites vendors to assist in updating that survey for 2010.

Unlike the 2007 survey, SSAC will also invite business users of
commercial firewalls to answer a similar set of questions:

* Are user organizations that have adopted IPv6 using commercial
firewalls to protect their networks?
* What features are user organizations employing when they deploy
firewalls in IPv6 networks?
* Are user organizations finding that the security services they used
at IPv4 firewalls are available for IPv6 transport as well?
* Are user organizations satisfied that commercial firewalls can
enforce the same security policy whether IPv6 or IPv4 transport is
used?

As was the case for the 2007 survey, SSAC will analyze and publish
aggregated responses. We will aggregate and analyze vendor results
separately from user organization responses. We will compare the 2010
vendor responses against the 2007 responses to measure how
availability has changed since the first survey.

Vendors and business users of commercial firewalls are invited to
participate in the survey online at:
http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB22A9WG4UQWG

Vendors, please consider providing an email address. (We ask you to
provide an email address as the final question of the vendor survey.)
SSAC will not share this email address but will use it to contact you
should we have questions related to survey responses for your
products.

User organizations (Businesses)

We are asking persons responsible for the administration
(configuration) of the commercial firewalls to participate in the
survey. "Businesses" thus includes all non-exclusively personal use
commercial firewalls. Small and medium businesses, large corporations,
service providers, online merchants, broadband access providers, are
all invited to participate. For our purposes, teleworkers and
self-employed individuals who use commercial firewalls and administer
the firewall themselves are also invited to participate.

The survey will be open for participation until 1 May 2010.

For additional information please contact SSAC-Fellow at icann.org