RRDRP

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 31 23:34:51 CEST 2010

I agree with Robin, the problem here is not a flaw in the RRDRP procedure (as far as  I can tell) - the real problem is the idea that claimed "communities" get privileged access or rights to object. Creating this privilege then requires this kind of a dispute procedure to make sure people don't game it.

--MM

From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:08 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] RRDRP

Thanks very much, Konstantinos.

I am also troubled by the amount of arbitrary decisions the RRDRP will create as proposed.  I was opposed to the entire notion of "community" objections when the new gTLD policy was being developed by the GNSO, and this is much of the reason.  ICANN is creating an unaccountable system to decide what and who a "community" is to veto and/or get preference in the DNS.   Many of the objections cited in this statement are somewhat related to this concern, although we should point it out more explicitly in my view.  I remain unconvinced that there can even be such a thing as a measurable "community" deserving of special rights and it just invites game-playing and manipulation to pretend there is.

Thanks very much!
Robin