"to develop a sustainable approach to applicants in applying for and operating new gTLDs"

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Mar 21 22:10:45 CET 2010

Norbert hit the nail on the head here.
I reiterate my belief that the application fee and obligations imposed by ICANN are more about limiting entry for various political reasons than anything else.