.canon

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Fri Mar 19 11:54:14 CET 2010

Yes, I also agree with Tin -- and one of the many examples showing the
mess in people's heads (even the ones participating in the debate)
regarding the simple mnemonic to locate a set of Internet services
called TLD is a comment to one of the good articles in the Internet
Governance Project.

The commentator typed http://pg and got right into the main Procter &
Gamble site. His conclusion? That P&G has managed somehow to circumvent
the entire discussion, procedures and staff manouvering within Icann
and, with the probable help of Rod himself, got its own brand TLD! He
was using Firefox (great!) and the Google semantic engine behind it just
mapped the URL to www.pg.com, of course... If that person typed
http://canon instead and saw our discussion, he would certainly be
puzzled...

--c.a.