I just created a TLD for $0 in 30 minutes

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Thu Mar 18 21:14:18 CET 2010

So why should it cost $185k to add it to the root servers? Adding it
should be 5 lines in a text file as I have 5 name servers. As to whois,
all you need is a whois on the TLD itself. Everything below .reality is
mine. People don't get to add 2nd level domains. This is what I'm
referring to as a private TLD.

It would be like microsoft.com - without the .com