I just created a TLD for $0 in 30 minutes

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Thu Mar 18 21:10:57 CET 2010

On 18 Mar 2010, at 15:47, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Just wondering if everyone knew that doing a private TLD was that easy?

i expect quite a few people do.

however, since no one is going to be able to access it in the controlled DNS that the rest of the world uses, it is a nice artifact that means close to nothing.  lots of people have created their own private pet TLDs, that is not the same as getting one into the root and getting the entry propagated world wide.

yes, the DNS could have been designed other then it was with the need to one root in order to maintain global addressability.
yes, we could have more the one of these roots is the various roots could agree to not use each others names

but the reality of the Internet we are living with requires that you get your .reality into the IANA controlled root in order for it to exist in any respect other then as a plaything.

so we can work on trying to get the cost reasonable, and we can build models that meet reasonable requirements for a TLD that IANA could include, but to try and convince people that they can do it on such a shoestring is not reality.

a.