Cost estimates for new TLDs

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Thu Mar 18 19:59:12 CET 2010

Taking up Jorge's earlier suggestion and Rafik's comments, would any NCUC members be interested in forming an informal working group to try to come up with some working cost estimates? It seems as though we have varied expertise and experience among our members, and I think it would be extremely valuable for NCUC-NCSG to produce a document along those lines. It needn't be a huge and complex study; even a brief document with some realistic estimates would be better than what Avri has termed our "hand waving" to date.

Besides Jorge, is there anyone who will be able and is interested in contributing to this?

Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

From: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM>
To:<NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
Date: 3/18/2010 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Local cost related to running a TLD
the argument was if you cannot have the money for fees so how can you run a registry.
the cost recovery is still high and unclear.

Rafik

2010/3/19 Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com>

> - to show that cost for running registry regarding appropriate requirement
> is really low and don't correspond to what Kurt is arguing as cost-recovery
> etc

The issue is that the recovery cost as the based for the application
fee it is not based on whatever the cost of running the registry is,
perhaps Kurt's argument that $185K compared to the cost of running a
registry is a minimal amount is not 100% correct.

As far as I know the recovery cost is based on the costs associated
with the evaluation of a string application for a new gTLD and as I
mentioned before the bill does not stop at $185K, if you have to go to
an extended evaluation or dispute you may have to add another
$50-$150K to the final tab.

Regards
Jorge