Local cost related to running a TLD

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 18 17:44:34 CET 2010

Good point here made by David Cake and Avri. Adding a new TLD name to an existing registry operator is not very costly at all. There are huge economies of scope. No, it is very clear that the 185k fee has nothing to do with the cost of operating a registry. It had two motivations: 1) an entrry barrier to reduce the number of applications to appease the TM holders; 2) a way to compensate ICANN itself for its administrative costs in setting up and operating a new TLD program.