Local cost related to running a TLD

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 18 17:36:48 CET 2010

Avri,
In terms of cost, it is easy to prove that running a small TLD is not that expensive. It all depends on what standards you require of a TLD. The ICANN standards are based on the assumption that everyone wants to be .com, and that the authority cannot allow any person in the world to make their own quality/cost tradeoff, they must make it for you.

The cost has little to do with the developing/developed world distinction. Obviously, labor costs in many LDCs might be cheaper, but bandwidth might be more expensive. Karl Auerbach runs his own little TLD, .ewe, and has good data on what it costs. But it is perfectly feasible to start small, with a cheap, not so reliable infrastructure, build revenues by adding customers, and improve your infrastructure as needed. That is how ALL the world's TLD registries started, prior to 1998.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org