.canon

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Wed Mar 17 14:16:14 CET 2010

On 17 Mar 2010, at 08:53, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> and the argument that people will remember ".canon" better than
> ".canon.com", well is borderline stupid.

i don't see it that way.  it seems a very reasonable thing to do from a market perspective to me.  they will advertising only one thing - canon and not also ,com and its hold on the commercial internet market.  we have just been so long accustomed to seeing .com or .org etc that it has become a qwertyism  - we actually think it belongs there, when really it is superfluous with its only value being to make some companies very rich

in an earlier message you also indicated that most of the technical community saw no reason for new TLDs.  that may or may not be true, i don't know - never seen a survey just seen a few bits of writing.  I know that as a person who prides herself on still being a viable member of the technical community, I am of the opposite opinion and have long advocated the introduction on new TLDs of all sorts.

a.