our region's widening digital gap

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 11 18:44:21 CET 2010

While in town allow me to illustrate how we engage on the diverse
array of consumers issues
---
[Business Daily]
New tax jolts mobile phone pricing
By Okuttah Mark
March 12, 2010
Under the proposed regulations, home and industrial microwave owners
and mobile handsets owners will be required to pay Sh3,000 for every
microwave or a GSM, CDMA or UTMs enabled mobile phone they own to the
board.

For telecommunications players, the commercial implications are dire.

Mr Alex Gakuru, the chairman of ICT consumer association of Kenya,
terms the move ill advised, saying it would only stifle the mobile
penetration in the country and widen the digital gap.

“We have handsets going for Sh2, 000 currently in the market, why
should a government organ want to levy a fee higher than the price of
the commodity?” he asked.
http://tinyurl.com/yzz3uol
---