law enforcers and icann

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Thu Jun 24 12:06:58 CEST 2010

I have just read the transcript of the panel "Law Enforcement
Amendments to the RAA ", held on 21 June, 2010 during the Brussels ICANN
meeting. The panel was chaired by ALAC's Cheryl Langdon-Orr. Everyone
seemed to be sort of happy of sharing a discussion room full of police :)

I do not understand the role law enforcers are supposed to play in
defining ICANN policies.

Law enforcers such as the FBI, Interpol etc work on a very simple
paradigm: they follow orders, and the more information they get, the
better to fulfill the orders they ought to follow. So they will always
defend the idea that all private data should be recorded and made
available to them whenever they deem necessary. It simply makes their
job easier, and this is enough for them, and is all we will hear from
them, whatever the nice dressing of their discourses.

However, ICANN should be looking for appropriate policies which abide by
internationally recognized human rights principles. This is the realm of
legislators, policy-makers, regulators -- not law enforcers -- and these
are the organizations ICANN should be talking to in deciding policies
regarding balancing privacy rights with security.

If decisions regarding the users' / consumers' rights to privacy are
going to be taken on the advice of the police, I do not think we will
arrive at a good end of this story.

--c.a.