Vote, Cover Letter and Charter

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Tue Jun 15 08:09:19 CEST 2010

Good morning,

Thanks Avri for the excellent drafting and Mary for the helpful edits, this looks very good to me.  I don't want to mess with the doc when you may already be cleaning it up, so I will just point out a couple of sentences that struck me as maybe needing a little clarification:

p. 4  These twoSGs have recognized, and managed to convince the Board and the SIC, that the better structure was one that made the existence of a constituency layer more of a problem than as a solution for effective management and participation.

p. 6 The proposed final charter disables this possibility in any case: : require a certain period of membership is required before a member is qualified to vote.

pp. 6-7 The fact also remains that, for groups like NCSG, and ALAC for that matter, that there is very little incentive for participation

It will be interesting to see what happens next....

Bill

On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:33 AM, Mary Wong wrote:

> Thanks for taking the lead and all the drafting on this (and so many other things), Avri - and thank you for taking my comments on board too :)
>
> There are a couple of typos (some of which may have been my fault during my energetic red-lining earlier), but I also had a question - we say that we couldn't reach 2 members and so asked Olga to step in as a trusted third party intermediary, but then she receives 6 votes - is there something we need to add to explain those numbers?
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
>
> Mary W S Wong
> Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
> Franklin Pierce Law Center
> Two White Street
> Concord, NH 03301
> USA
> Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
> Phone: 1-603-513-5143
> Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
> Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584
>

> From:	Avri Doria <avri at LTU.SE>
> To:	<NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
> Date:	6/14/2010 10:13 PM
> Subject:	Vote, Cover Letter and Charter
> Hi,
>
> As as been announced the Charter was accepted.
>
> Details on the vote can be found at: https://st.icann.org/ncsg-ec/index.cgi?non_commercial_stakeholder_group
>
> Of 199 possible voters, 142 members voted that 71.3%.
> Of 314 possible votes, 231 votes were cast that is 73.6%
>
> of which 221 votes were in favor of the charter
> and 10 were against the charter.
>
> These means that 70.38% of the members vote were in favor of the charter, which is greater then the 60% threshold defined for success.
>
> My thanks to ALL who voted. And my special thanks to all who made the vote successful.
>
> I have appended a draft of the cover letter I plan to send to the Board tomorrow.  This letter has been reviewed in the NCSG Executive and the NCSG Policy committee.  I know this is a quick rush for review, but I really do need to get the material submitted before Brussels and this has been a very long haul.  If anyone does have time and does comment, I would appreciate it.  I am sure there are some typos or worse.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> a.
>

> <IMAGE.jpg>

William J. Drake