NCSG Responses to Accountability & Transparency Review Team Questions

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sat Jun 12 11:10:27 CEST 2010

Hello again,

After playing with different options, Rafik and I decided to put the ATRT questions on the Social Text site.  He's posted them at https://st.icann.org/ncsg-ec/index.cgi?atrt_questionaire.   Any and all member responses to whichever questions you feel like addressing would be very helpful.

Thanks much,

Bill

On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:31 AM, William Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As has been mentioned on the list a few times over the past couple of weeks, there's a lot going on now with respect to the Review Team mechanism set up in accordance with the Affirmation of Commitments, e.g.
>
> Council last night took up the motion to approve the GNSO endorsement process.  https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?10_june_motions  Alas, unexpected complications, the IPC wants an amendment that would make the process more formal, political, and time consuming without in my view adding any value—basically to ensure that if the Council decides to endorse any additional people in order to increase the diversity of GNSOs nominees, it can only do so from a small subset that the SGs have specified in advance rather than the whole applicant pool, so as to maximize SG control and veto power.  As the proposer of the motion I consider the amendment unfriendly (other words come to mind, but will leave it there).  In addition, the CSG more generally has decided that it is not sure we should have a fixed process as agreed months ago for the routine handling of RT nomination cycles, they apparently would like to have a fresh negotiation and drafting exercise each time.  So the motion's been put on hold to Brussels, which should add to the fun of the public meeting...sigh...
> Today is the deadline if anyone wants to put their name into consideration as an Independent Expert for the ATRT http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-02jun10-en.htm
> Applications to serve on the upcoming review teams on WHOIS and on Security, Stability and Reliability are due 15 July http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-01jun10-en.htm  and NCSG will need to come up with one name per team to endorse as its representative thereafter, preferably by the end of July; hopefully some folks will consider putting their names forward...
> Finally, the ATRT has posed a series of questions for public comment, with replies being due 1 July http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-18may10-en.htm
>
> NCSG discussed the fourth item above at some length on Wednesday night's call.  This is a really important opportunity for us to weigh in and raise its concerns on two key fronts:
>
> a)  NC's experiences with ICANN's accountability & transparency, how we and our efforts to organize ourselves and promote engagement have been impacted by the actions of management etc, and
>
> b) The broader fit between ICANN's actions/policies and the sort of public interest values we're all here to champion.

> [...]

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and