The dark side of take down requests

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Mon Jun 28 16:50:52 CEST 2010

It's interesting that Kathy mentioned Godaddy and take down requests. I
have a personal story about what happened with Godaddy taking out an
entire data center due to a spam complaint. I was hosted at the data
center and a friend of mine owns it and he had me make the call knowing
that I'm good at getting results. The data center was called nectartech.com.

What happened was that some customer got hacked and was sending spam.
The customer was using nectartech.com name servers as was most of their
customers. On Friday January 13th around 5:00pm Godaddy suspended the
nectartech.com domain. And it was a 3 day weekend. What happened then
was a legendary story about how I managed to get nectartech.com back
online in spite of Godaddy's suspention.

This is a great anecdotal story about what can happen when registrars go
wild with domain suspension. You can read about it all over the internet
by googling godaddy and nectartech. What I did was to record the phone
call with Godaddy support and post it on the Internet/ About 18 hours
later, service was restored.

The thread starts here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477562

And the recording with Godaddy is here:

http://marc.perkel.com/audio/godaddy.mp3

It speaks to the problem Kathy talks about when it comes to due process.
In this case it was resolved due to some unique skills that aren't
available to most people. But if anyone needs an example of what happens
when a registrar wrongly suspends a domain, is one says it all.