NCSG selections for the SSR & WHOIS AoC Review Teams

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sat Jul 31 07:14:04 CEST 2010

Hi

The deadline for applications having passed, we now begin the three weeks period during which NCSG has to decide who it endorses for the SSR and WHOIS review teams.  In both cases, we should select a primary person and also have in mind a few possible alternatives in the event that the SG selections yield an inadequately diverse pool and thus trigger the possible selection of 1 or 2 additional names by Council, in coordination with the SGs.  For the WHOIS RT, GNSO got four seats, so whomever we select as our primary is guaranteed to be on the RT.  For the SSR RT, GNSO got three seats, so whomever we pick has a decent chance but is not guaranteed to get on, it's up to Rod and Heather as the Selectors.

The eight candidates for WHOIS are here http://gnso.icann.org/aoc-reviews/whois-policies-en.htm

The following indicated that they feel most closely aligned with NCSG

Kim G. Von Arx
Amber Sterling

The seven candidates for SSR are here http://gnso.icann.org/aoc-reviews/dns-ssr-en.htm

The following indicated that they feel most closely aligned with NCSG

David Cake
George Asare Sakyi

Please note: a) not that we necessarily would, but technically any SG can endorse any candidates irrespective of which SG they have identified themselves with, and b) in the event that Council did end up having to use the diversity procedure, we should have  additional names we could support or at least live with.  So while our attention should presumably concentrate in the first instance on the four folks who have asked for NCSG endorsement, it'd be good to have a look at the entire pools and see whether there are others who we could support if it comes to that.

Council's next teleconference is 5 August 2010 @ 15:00 UTC, agenda and motions at
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?gnso_council_workspace

Presumably NCSG will do a cll on 4 August, next Wednesday.  We will need to have a discussion there of the candidates for endorsement and get community input for the Policy Committee with an eye to the 20 August deadline for endorsements. So with apologies for the short time line, if in the next 4 days people could have a look at the candidates that would help.  We could also usefully have some discussion in advance here on the list, if the candidates would care to share their respective pitches on why they're the right people for the jobs etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Begin forwarded message:

William J. Drake