Comments filed today by American Red Cross

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Fri Jul 23 01:42:56 CEST 2010

Sorry for formatting...doing this while at a meeting:

1)    And many NGOs don't have the money for country based, let alone world-wide tm searches :-)! Or to even file tm registrations to protect their org's name. Or to spend $1500 to file a UDRP. Or to hire outside counsel when your IP team is ½ a person!

2)    I don't understand how acquiring a domain name is not a commercial transaction. Even if we agree say it's a "consumer transaction", the registrant agrees to certain obligations. Whether you use the internet for non-commercial purposes or to sell widgets, I think it important to remember that.  Just as there are consumer protection laws, aren't consumers expected to have a certain level of responsibility?

3)    As I stated in my comment and as I have been saying since I joined Red Cross, it would be great if ICANN recognized the differences between how domains are used when setting policy.  Why can't the pricing, rules, processes be different for those that are not using the DNS to sell widgets or make a profit?  However ICANN's domain registration (its "remit") vs. domain name use (what it claims is outside of its remit) debate clouds that issue sometimes.

4)    Maybe the day will come for the opportunity for gTLDs for individuals with different standards - would be promising.  I am hoping for the same thing for entities that can establish they would use a new gTLD for a non-profit motive.  we shall see.

________________________________

From: tlhackque [mailto:tlhackque at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:22 PM
To: NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Cc: Hughes, Debra Y.
Subject: Re: Comments filed today by American Red Cross

And let's remember that individuals that register domain names should be responsible for their contractual obligations, right?

>> Yes, absolutely.  And those obligations have to be reasonable for the parties involved.  Few individuals can be expected to spend USD 50K+ on a world-wide trademark search, for example.

However, we have to find a way to balance the interests - helping those trying to quickly take down domains registered by bad actors for serious cases and helping individual registrants understand the nature of the playing field when they enter this commercial arena.

>> Agree - except I wish you'd omitted 'commercial'

Because honestly, one could argue that obtaining a domain name is a commercial transaction, even when used to connect family members.

>> By that standard, a consumer buying a nameplate for her house is a a commercial transaction.  But we have different standards for what it is reasonable for a consumer to do.  We have consumer protection laws, and as you know, contract law (at least in the US) has very different standards for consumer contracts and commercial contracts - even when the same product or service is purchased.  So I am inclined to argue that this is a *consumer* transaction when an individual (not acting for some other entity) is the purchaser.

And when individuals engage in commercial activities, like buying keywords to help people find their domain, maybe they should carefully consider the rules of the road.

>> Yes, but the standard of what's reasonable is different.  What's reasonable when one has a few dollars to connect a family or run a community service is very different from what's reasonable when you have millions of dollars at your disposal.

>> The internet is no longer simply a commercial space.  There is a large population of consumers doing things that in the past, only large institutions could do.  Whether its publishing/blogging that so many do, or running an international private network for my family - I have more bandwidth in my house today than I had in my engineering lab 10 years ago - the internet is not a network of mini/mainframe computers costing USD 10K, 100K, 1M.  Most of my DNS servers cost under USD 100.  We need to distinguish commercial from non-commercial use of the network and reason about what appropriate rights and responsibilities are -- isn't that what this group is about?

>> For the record, I'm not against big institutions - I spent over 30 years working in them, and I appreciate the amount of good that can be done when one has significant resources at one's disposal.   I'd like to think that I did my share of good - as well as vigorously defending our ability to control our resources, including intellectual property.  And I'd certainly like to get rid of the bad actors.

>> One might make a case for a TLD for individuals with more relaxed standards.  There have been some attempts to cater to individuals - e.g. .name, .tel, etc - but these are limited and would not support the full range of services that some of us need.   And trademark owners need to be protective everywhere.  But maybe the balance of consumer protections could be different -- if we could keep the bad actors from hiding behind it.

>> It is a difficult problem.  I don't think we're on radically different sides of the issues.  But I am trying to provide some perspective from the point of view of an individual registrant.  It is our network too.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.