Comments filed today by American Red Cross

tlhackque tlhackque at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 22 23:46:50 CEST 2010

Ron,

I like the concept - up to a point.

It's not obvious to me that quick removal of a domain name is the right remedy.

We forget that DNS is about more than websites.  My family network is
multi-site, glued together with VPN tunnels, with file sharing and many other
functions riding on the tunnels.  If my domain name vanished, not only would my
external facing websites go down, but my entire network would vanish within
hours.  In fact, there's a good chance that I couldn't access the file server
containing my DNS registration records.

A more appropriate remedy would seem to be directing the ISP to block ports 80
and 443 - and perhaps OUTGOING traffic to ports 25, 587, and perhaps 465.
(These being webserver http/https and e-mail smtp, submission & smtps.)  The
webserver is where offensive content is served to the public; e-mail is of
course SPAM.   At least that targets the offending functions rather than the
entire domain.  And yes, ICANN does have leverage over the ISPs.

Another thing to note is that most individuals have exactly one domain name
registered.  The abusers register them by the dozens.  Take away one of theirs,
and they just move on.  Take away one from an organization with more than one,
and they can fall-back to stay in business while they appeal - their network
will have redundancy.  (Or if not, shame on them.)  But take away the only
domain name from an individual or small organization, and they're out of
business - quite possibly with no realistic way to reconfigure even if they
bought another domain name.  (E.G. getting on an airplane to reconfigure remote
routers so they can find each-other using a new/temporary domain name is a
non-trivial matter.)

I was actually considering registering a backup domain name with a different
registrar  'just in case' - but some cybersquatter saw that my .net name was
taken (by me), and immediately grabbed the .com, .org, and other useful variants
of .net.  And I'm not willing to pay the greenmail.   I'd like to object - but
I'd lose since I didn't register my network name as a trademark :-(

Thinking about this, I wonder if there shouldn't be a different standard for an
identifiable individual (e.g. who provides an accurate address, a valid national
identity document, etc) who holds 1 or 2 (or some number less than dozens of)
domain names and has never (or not within several years) been found to be a
network abuser or employed by one.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't be
accountable for deliberate/malicious actions - but perhaps less severe/dramatic
action should be taken pending resolution.  Perhaps there should be a guaranteed
period where the domain name remains in place to allow reconfiguration.  Perhaps
the ICANN fee for replacing the domain name should be waived...not that it's a
huge sum, but it's a small way to recognize the difference between the predators
and the innocent errors.

I'm not exactly sure how to make such a scheme loophole-free - but there is a
real difference between the serial abusers and the individuals/small
organizations that have no intent to damage others and are just trying to live
their lives on the network...  It would be good to see this recognized.

Your notion of a longer time to appeal is a step in that direction - but it
still seems to me that the whole concept that domain name = website = content
distribution = kill the domain name to stop content distribution is flawed.

Speaking of content distribution: Trademark rights activists would do well to
invest some of their energy into getting DKIM/SPF adopted by all the major
e-mail clients - including patches for popular older versions.  Forged e-mail is
rather a larger problem - how many of us have gotten 'Urgent security patch'
e-mail from 'patches at microsoft.com' - where, of course, the header is spoofed
and the patch is a virus.  I suppose they could de-register microsoft.com - but
that isn't the source of the problem :-)    Seriously, authenticated e-mail
would solve many of the other abuses of trademarks - but despite the
technologies' availability for many years, no traction has been obtained.  And a
small fraction of the energy that has gone into the name (de-)registration
efforts could solve that...

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.