Comments filed today by American Red Cross

tlhackque tlhackque at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 22 21:20:51 CEST 2010

I know we all despise the spammers and fraud-mongers.  And removing and
prosecuting them will all due haste should certainly be a goal.

However, let's also remember that many individuals register domain names.
Perhaps their family name - or their pet's name - or... happens to be a keyword
in a advertising campaign in a language they don't know for a product they've
never heard of on the other side of the globe that they've never visited.  And
that individual happens to take a vacation when Megacorp's legal department
decides to make an issue of it.

I don't think 20 days is unreasonable - in fact, I don't think 30 days is
unreasonable if I had to respond to such a complaint.  I certainly don't have
your organization's legal resources.  And I do - occasionally - take vacations
without reading e-mail.

Of course, I'd also like the spammers off the network in a microsecond or less.
But  let's not amplify the leverage that the large/deep pockets have over the
individuals.  Let's not assume that only the guilty will get charged.

And let's remember that "non-commercial" doesn't just mean large non-profit
groups.  It's supposed to include individuals who who are registrants - and are
not engaged in fraud or 'problematic' use.
This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.