Single Registrant TLD

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Tue Jul 20 18:06:22 CEST 2010

Oh dear, now I'm (even more) puzzled and concerned by what's going on in the VI WG ...

Are there folks in the WG who think that the issue of whether Single Registrant TLDs *should* be permitted (i.e. a normative policy question) is at least partly dependent on whether members of particular Stakeholder Groups (in this case, NCSG) can *demonstrate* (a factual, not normative, question) whether there is PRESENT interest from its CURRENT membership in such a thing?

Or is this some attempt to "measure" whether the interest in Single Registrant TLDs is coming ONLY from the commercial (e.g. IP/brand, business) sectors?

Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

From: Avri Doria <avri at LTU.SE>
To:<NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
Date: 7/20/2010 10:59 AM
Subject: Single Registrant TLD
Hi,

Just checking.

The contention by some on the VIWG has been that I am deluded when I argue that the NCSG, especially some of its institutional members have no interest in seeing Single Registrant TLD (.ngo for want of a better name) where the names could be distributed internally, without use of a registrar, to employees or members.

Can anyone confirm my delusion?  Are their institutional members who think this sort of thing should exist - even if their name in not a famous brand?

thanks

a.

Pierce Law | University of New Hampshire - An Innovative Partnership