candidates for review teams.

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sun Jul 11 23:44:57 CEST 2010

Thanks Kim (and Milton),

So it boils down to the Board, as usual, except that the Board may have
some degree of informal dependence on the advisory bodies in making its
decisions (which, I expect, is where the real power of those advisory
bodies originates).

You suggest below: "the power of the RT comes from the public consultation
of the report and accompanying recommendations, and thus, there will be
some power in the hands of the stakeholders at large to shape the policy
development process"

This is true only to the extent that the Board accepts the public input
(thus, to the extent that the public input is viewed as genuinely
representative, and not systematically skewed).  Given the uncertainties of
public outreach, it seems possible (bureaucratically) for the Board to
declare that public input is not representative, and to estimate the "real"
mix of public sentiment, and replace the public record with this
alternative assessment.  Conversely, the public record may *not* be
representative, but if it serves the Board's purposes it may accept it as
such.  I think you can expect spin doctoring on both sides when the public
record accumulates, with those that are supported by it proclaiming how
accurate it is, and those undermined by it proclaiming how inaccurate it
is.  And again, one wonders what informal (and perhaps hidden) influence
staff has on the Board, as well.

In any case, it seems that this WHOIS RT is basically a permanent
instantiation of what used to be the WHOIS Working Group or Task Force, as
an ongoing and enduring/recurring body with a consistent mandate within
ICANN, rather than a series of ad-hoc groups.  Does this seem accurate?

FYI, I served on the WHOIS WG in 2007, on behalf of NCUC (in conjunction
with IP Justice), so I have some firsthand experience with what that
process was like, and am modestly curious as to how the RT will operate in
practical terms, in comparison.

But more important is some sort of formal definition of standards of
decision-making in the overall process.  When informal influences are left
open and importantly influence the final decision, the ultimate result is
effectively ad hoc decision-making, with formal processes acting as window
dressing rather than the impactful policy drivers.

This is the constant fear amount public-interest advocates at ICANN, and so
far as I can tell it hasn't changed a whole lot even during this recent
process of restructuring.

So I would encourage you to go beyond the explicit, formal structures and
also evaluate the implicit, informal dynamics that influence policy-making
at ICANN, which in my experience in the not-too-distant past has been
considerable, and from the comments I scan on this list over time they seem
to have remained comparable (or even perhaps increasing) over time.

Where "the law" leaves gray areas, individual powers fill the vacuum (the
"rule of law" gives way to the rule of humans).  And this is where
"accountability" can get hijacked by what the spin doctors commonly call
"special interests"...

Best,
Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.