Comments filed today by American Red Cross

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Thu Jul 22 17:24:41 CEST 2010

Thanks, Rafik.  The work of the JAS WG is very important and of course
related, in part, to the outreach work we are both involved with on the
OSC Constituency and Stakeholder Group Operations Work Team.

About the thin v. think comment below: In a thin registry (.COM is an
example), the Whois records includes limited data - only enough to
identify the registrar of the domain name (registrar name, registration
status, creation/expiration dates).  So, for a problematic .COM domain,
obtaining the contact details for the registrant is a two (or three or
four or five...) step process for research.

For example,

Step 1: Look up the domain name using a Whois service of choice. Find
out registrar.

Step 2: Then, go to that particular registrar's Whois service to obtain
the publicly available Registrant's contact information.

Step 3:  If the bad actor is using a privacy/proxy service, I have to
keep my fingers crossed that the privacy/proxy service has a fair (and
hopefully easy and inexpensive) system for me to request the concealed
contact information for the Registrant. Hopefully they will follow their
policy!

Step 4:  Proxy/privacy service does not have a system to request
underlying contact information or ignores request, I have to decide
whether it makes sense to spend donor dollars to get a subpoena, if
applicable or escalate the request for contact information.

A record from a registry operating a thick Whois server (like .ORG)
includes the registrant's contact information, admin/tech and the
registrar info.  It eliminates having to go two places to get the
publicly available Registrant contact info, which is important for not
for profit organization that are often asked to do more with less
resources.  The other benefit of a thick registry is when a registrar
goes out of business, the thick registry will retain the registrant info
(except if the registrant used a privacy/proxy service).

About the URS, I think fairness is important - fairness to the
registrant and a fair procedure for an organization that is being harmed
by a bad actor from a "clear cut" instance" of trademark abuse."  I
think the suggestion of giving Registrants 14 days, rather than 20 days
to file an Answer is fair, not abusive and consistent with the intent of
"rapid" suspension.  Also, if ICANN provides a form complaint and
reduces the word/page limit, it is possible a Registrant, who is
inexperienced with such actions, might feel less intimidated.  Also, the
suggestion of a form Answer can help inexperienced Registrants prepare

Debbie

Debra Y. Hughes l Senior Counsel
American Red Cross

Office of the General Counsel