One or two PDPs?

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Tue Jan 26 23:38:21 CET 2010

Except we are talking about an environment where the rules mandate that there be no prejudice among the registrars.  So the exception you list as being allowable under the DEFINITION is already mandated.  The integrated provider would be disallowed based on other ICANN regulations for registrars.  Integrating a registrar with a registry would not result in exclusive sales, but would still allow for special information sharing and other advantage VI  (and other close relationships) brings.

Hence when we talk of VI we are not talking about exclusive marketing.  And I see this as a critical point:  this _prohibition of exclusivity_ is perhaps what makes the functional effect of Vertical integration, cross ownership and joint marketing similar in the ICANN context.

a.