One or two PDPs?

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Jan 26 23:23:26 CET 2010

No false statements were made. Let me make it clearer for the members:

With vertical integration, a consumer cannot buy .foo from any other registrar UNLESS THE INTEGRATED PROVIDER CHOOSES TO LET OTHER REGISTRARS DO SO.

This is incontrovertible; it is the definition of VI. With VI, there is no distinction, no separation between registry and registrar, no equal access to the registry.

So to use your example, yes, Apple can _choose_ to let other stores sell their products -- but it does not have to. If uit wants to retain a product or products exclusively for distribution in its own store, it can.

--MM