One or two PDPs?

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Jan 25 22:34:29 CET 2010

Thanks, Mary.  And in addition to discussing this issue on this list
over the next few days, we (NCSG) have our policy discussion on
Wednesday (27 Jan.) 15:00 - 17:00 UTC.

How to proceed with the PDP on this is an important issue, so I hope
we can continue to work through the various issues together over the
next few days.

Thanks,
Robin

On Jan 25, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Mary Wong wrote:

> Just a quick note/reminder to everyone - the 3 NCUC Councillors and
> the 3 other NCSG Councillors will need to decide on how to vote on
> the 2 possible motions on vertical integration.
>
> The motions will be debated and voted on this Thursday 28 January
> during the Council call-in meeting.
>
> Currently the 2 motions are either to (1) delay a PDP for a year
> (proposed by the Registrars); or (2) initiate a PDP (along fairly
> broad lines to look at vertical integration for both new and
> existing gTLDs, proposed by the Commercial Stakeholder Group).
>
> I do not know if it will be possible to have a consensus position
> within the NCUC in time. Our not having one will not stop the clock
> or hold up the vote, so I'm still hoping more members will weigh in
> on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
>

> Mary W S Wong
> Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
> Franklin Pierce Law Center
> Two White Street
> Concord, NH 03301
> USA
> Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
> Phone: 1-603-513-5143
> Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
> Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
> (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584
>

> From:	Avri Doria <avri at LTU.SE>
> To:	<NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
> Date:	1/24/2010 5:32 PM
> Subject:	Re: One or two PDPs?
> dear Dr. Professor Mueller,
>
> If you knew anything about me, you would know that i never think
> any argument is obvious.  But it was a good bit of rhetoric and I
> applaud you for your clever use of misdirection.  I am afraid I
> could never be as clever as you in my argumentation, but you
> already know that, I am sure.  I will do my best to answer what I
> see as the relevant points in your message.
>
> What I claimed was obvious, or so I thought, was the position i was
> taking on the question of 'one or 2 PDPs'.  And I thought it was
> obvious from things I had said previously that I was supporting the
> notion of a single PDP on the topic that would completed within 2-3
> months.
>
> I appreciate again, that you, Milton, do think I am too dim too
> understand the great wisdom you bring to the discussion.
> Personally I think. perhaps, your wisdom is so great it has
> obscured the point I have been trying to make.
>
> I have no problem seeing that by definition in rigorous academic
> systems of dividing one thing from another so that they can be
> pigeonholed and understood as pure categories, that it is possible
> to say that Vertical Integration within a single company is
> different from a joint marketing arrangement or cross-ownership and
> affiliations. Of course, by definition it is.  And if the real
> world bore anything other then a passing similarity to the academic
> projection of that world you might be able to shout QED from the
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org