Draft Council letter on the ARR

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Wed Jan 20 16:35:06 CET 2010

Hi,

This is a very good statement, thanks for all the work that went in to
it.  IIRC, it addresses all of the comments made during our previous call.

I agree with Bill that Chatham is a good compromise and will encourage
panelists to speak freely.  And AFAIK, there is nothing preventing a
panelist from saying elsewhere what they said themselves at a meeting under
the Chatham House Rule.  This is helpful if one feels strongly that their
particular constituency's position needs to be known.

Other suggestions:

Add some academic references in a footnote re: group size and effectiveness

Might it help to include examples of "related institutional settings"?
 E.g., there are relatively large Working Groups in the IETF that achieve
consensus, the IGF's MAG is another example that has been mentioned.

I would support including the sentence “It might also be noted that GNSO
registrants pay fees that fund well over 90% of ICANN's activities.”  What
makes it objectionable to some?

Brenden Kuerbis
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org