motion on Chatham

Kimberley Heitman kheitman at KHEITMAN.COM
Thu Jan 28 13:12:59 CET 2010

While I agree that open and accountable minutes of meetings is the
preferable default, the CH Rule sometimes arises from the inability of a
delegate to announce an organisation's position until a process is complete
or the appropriate spokesperson issues a statement. For example : Fred from
ALACISH says a rough consensus is in favour of the motion with an amendment,
but there are still three tiers of committees who must sign off on it -
minutes to show that "a delegate supported the motion with an amendment".
Likewise, the suits may only be authorised to negotiate, vote on procedural
motions without prejudice to further stakeholder opposition or tentatively
agree pending white smoke from Head Office.

Accordingly, Mary's suggestion to allow some members of discussions to
declare a matter under CH rules in exceptional circumstances gives what some
at these meetings will consider to be useful wiggle room; enabling ongoing
discussions without the names being recorded in the minutes.

Regards,
Kim

Kimberley James Heitman
www.kheitman.com