[ncsg-policy] Fwd: [council] Motion to Approve Procedures for Board Seat #13

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Thu Jan 28 09:31:49 CET 2010

Anyone sure as to how we want to play this?  If not I assume we can not approve the exception and get mroe time discuss in SG, although I gather that messes up the external time table...

On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:56 AM, Mary Wong wrote:

> All, a new motion that just came in - regarding how to fill Seat #13 on the Board.
>
> I've not had a chance to review the documents, but wanted to get it out to everyone before the Council meets in, oh, 10 hours :(
>
> Thanks and cheers
> Mary
>
> Mary W S Wong
> Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
> Franklin Pierce Law Center
> Two White Street
> Concord, NH 03301
> USA
> Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
> Phone: 1-603-513-5143
> Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
> Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584
>

> From:	"Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes at verisign.com>
> To:	<council at gnso.icann.org>
> Date:	1/27/2010 7:50 PM
> Subject:	[council] Motion to Approve Procedures for Board Seat #13
> The following two documents are attached for consideration in our Council meeting tomorrow, 28 January 2010:
> 1.      MOTION TO APPROVE PROCEDURES FOR THE 2010 ELECTION OF BOARD SEAT 13
> 2.      A redlined revised version of ‘GNSO Operating Procedures’ containing procedures for election of an ICANN Board Director to fill seat #13.
>
> I am hereby making the motion referenced in item 1 above.
>
> I apologise for the last minute nature of this motion and for the fact that it misses the 8-day deadline for motions stated in the GNSO Operating Procedures.  Because of the lateness, we will have to approve an exception to the 8-day requirement before we may act on the motion.
>
> Unfortunately, the task of filling seat #13 was missed until just a few days ago and I take responsibility for that.  Thanks to Glen for catching it.  As you can see in the motion itself, the ICANN Bylaws require very quick action on this election and hence give us very little time to act.  We just consulted with the General Council’s Office today and learned that a 21-day comment period is needed for approval of the Procedures.  Margie kindly wrote the motion in a way that allows us to move forward quickly and meet the Bylaws requirements if the Council approves the motion.
>
> Please forward this motion to your Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies right away.  I understand that there will be inadequate time to obtain feedback, but I believe that the proposed procedure is non-controversial and consistent with the intent of the Bylaws changes approved last year allowing for the Contracted Party House to elect the Director for seat #13.  There will be opportunity to discuss this in our meeting.
>
> Thanks for your understanding and cooperation on this.  Please ask any questions you have and make comments if you like.
>
> Chuck Gomes
> [...]

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance