Fwd: [council] Motion to Approve Procedures for Board Seat #13

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Thu Jan 28 01:56:05 CET 2010

All, a new motion that just came in - regarding how to fill Seat #13 on
the Board.

I've not had a chance to review the documents, but wanted to get it out
to everyone before the Council meets in, oh, 10 hours :(

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes at verisign.com>
To:<council at gnso.icann.org>
Date: 1/27/2010 7:50 PM
Subject: [council] Motion to Approve Procedures for Board Seat #13

The following two documents are attached for consideration in our
Council meeting tomorrow, 28 January 2010:
1.      MOTION TO APPROVE PROCEDURES FOR THE 2010 ELECTION OF BOARD
SEAT 13
2.      A redlined revised version of ‘GNSO Operating Procedures’
containing procedures for election of an ICANN Board Director to fill
seat #13.

I am hereby making the motion referenced in item 1 above.

I apologise for the last minute nature of this motion and for the fact
that it misses the 8-day deadline for motions stated in the GNSO
Operating Procedures.  Because of the lateness, we will have to approve
an exception to the 8-day requirement before we may act on the motion.

Unfortunately, the task of filling seat #13 was missed until just a few
days ago and I take responsibility for that.  Thanks to Glen for
catching it.  As you can see in the motion itself, the ICANN Bylaws
require very quick action on this election and hence give us very little
time to act.  We just consulted with the General Council’s Office today
and learned that a 21-day comment period is needed for approval of the
Procedures.  Margie kindly wrote the motion in a way that allows us to
move forward quickly and meet the Bylaws requirements if the Council
approves the motion.

Please forward this motion to your Stakeholder Groups and
Constituencies right away.  I understand that there will be inadequate
time to obtain feedback, but I believe that the proposed procedure is
non-controversial and consistent with the intent of the Bylaws changes
approved last year allowing for the Contracted Party House to elect the
Director for seat #13.  There will be opportunity to discuss this in our
meeting.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation on this.  Please ask any
questions you have and make comments if you like.

Chuck Gomes