FW: Draft Motions on Vertical Integration

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Wed Jan 27 15:35:04 CET 2010

Hi,

5 of 6 NCSG councilors were able to make a call yesterday with CSG counterparts to discuss options regarding the two motions Council will vote on Thursday.

Re: motion 1, to just delay a PDP (in the current language, "the GNSO Council will consider initiating a PDP on this issue 1 year after the launch of the new gTLD program;" in the compromise suggested yesterday, will initiate, at the same time it launches), nobody was favorably disposed to a delay, so I presume we'll vote against 1 rather than amend.

So that leaves motion 2.  We discussed a) the scope of a motion, e.g. unrestricted per now vs carving out JM, and b) the timing question and potential impacts on the gTLD launch (should that ever happen).  With prior efforts to tweak 2 in a way folks would all accept bottomed out, CSG offered to take a crack at it.  Below is their attempt to take on board some of the concerns that have been raised, changes to consider in brackets.  I suspect there will be issues with these too.

I hope we can have some compromise NCSG folks can all live with on timing and scope (e.g. separating JM from true VI and focusing in this case on the latter), even if it's a half a loaf solution substantively from their perspective.  Having our group working together seems a more pressing priority than selecting one or the other polarized solution that leaves a chunk of folks unhappy, at least to me.

To discuss on the call in a half hour,

Bill