One or two PDPs?

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Wed Jan 27 04:33:16 CET 2010

> Just as there are different legal and regulatory categories for Local Exchange Companies (LECs) and Interexchange companies (IXCs), so there are different contracts for Registries and Registrars. Allowing vertical integration means getting rid of that distinction.

I contend that this is not necessarily so.  There is no reason why a single provider could not be forced to have contracts both as a registrar and a registry.  ICANN makes the rules for these things, and an expectation of continued equal treatment for registrars seems to be something that could/should be expected.  Of course it all works out in the PDP.

Assuming that a vertical integration system within ICANN was set up with these conditions it then does start to resemble the current situation with affiliated registries and registrars quite closely.

I also contend that there are a variety of ways in which the facilitation that is the goal of this process, i.e. making the playing field work for the small boutique registry or the brand or the NGO registry could be done other tn the way currently being proposed by DAGv3.  I also contend that the whole subject , bot the so called short term so this round, and the full story, are intricately interwoven and should not  be separated into 2 PDPs.

> So it would no longer be true that "all registrars are treated equally."

I expect they would be.  But that needs to be worked out in a PDP.

And I still believe this can be done in quick time.

a.