Community Comment Invited on Revised Proposal To Form A New GNSO Consumers Constituency 22 January to 13 February 2010

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 06:24:19 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
> I'm sure the consumer groups who are members of NCSG would want to weigh in
> on this proposal to create a consumer constituency.   Too bad none have been
> included in this staff initiative so far.
> Best,
> Robin

Thanks Robin,

You are right and one hopes that ICANN's does not end up "users"-
heavy as opposed to "consumers"-centric. Although "users" and
"consumers" sound similar, they are very different.

Baudouin SCHOMBE and I are currently developing a bottom-up
"Equatorial Africa" consumer protection workshop scheduled for August
2010 - involving Cameroon, DRC, Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and
Kenya.

Pleased to have the support of various NCUC members such as Bill Drake
and others. At this point soliciting Baudouin's travel funding to
ICANN at Nairobi "Study Tour" to come read what ICANN is doing in regard
to Africa's consumer protection to feed that into our August event
planning.

As our Chair (protocol-wise), could I kindly request you to put our
case forward?
We're already inside the GNSO infrastructure--why don't they involve
us from the onset?

Regulators in our region are taking CP seriously. Last week attended a
five-day course with regulators from Botswana, Uganda, Zambia and
Kenya.

http://www.cto.int/Portals/0/docs/courses/2009/consumer%20protection%20brochure%20for%20web.pdf

Sincerely,

Alex