Draft Council letter on the ARR

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Sun Jan 24 00:02:22 CET 2010

On 23 Jan 2010, at 19:22, Nuno Garcia wrote:

> Transparency is a value, and values, if sound and ethically born, must
> never be sacrificed. I say it before coming forth to support
> transcriptions.

btw, i support transcription - unless they mean that people with something to say will not say it.

i guess i may have a bit too much pragmatism mixed in with my ideals.

we need allies, and our allies can't always afford to be 100% transparent - even people in the NCUC or NCSG aren't willing to be 100% transparent.  wen i created the lists,  i put archives on both the NCSG  Executive committee and Policy lists and some people are not comfortable saying everything on an archived list.   i even set them up so other people could email to them - albeit in a moderated way - a revolution in NC or GNSO lists in general.  it is the way things are.  do we want to go for 100% transparency?

part of the koolaid i brought from the GNSO was a preference for 100% transparency of all email lists and all meetings.  but other SGs don't do it. and i am not even sure NCSG wants to do it.

to require something of others we can't even commit to ourselves seems a bit someting to me.

> Maybe I don't belong in this community after all, and again maybe
> that's why I should stay.

hey i think i may be too pragmatic for this crowd (with a love of gnso koolaid) and constantly think i should find something else to do with my time.  and you think you are too transparent for this crowd.  perhaps we both belong in a diverse crowd where neither of us feels totally comfortable.

the big tent of the NCSG?

what do i know, i just came back from a good dinner with a lot of fine Spanish and Catalonian  wine (or is that too much transparency) so I might regret this note tomorrow.

a.