ICANN meeting and security concerns

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Fri Jan 22 12:54:46 CET 2010

Right now São Paulo is under a wave of protests in the poor communities
(which is more than 70% of that city of 11 million) against local public
policies. This is motivated by the poor record of the local and state
government in handling sanitation, flood prevention and urban
development. Some communities are under water and sewage for more than
40 days now. As expected, the local police reacts with the usual
stupidity and violence breaks up. But the big media is aligned with the
state government, and nearly no news of these protests circulates,
except in the many alternative blogs.

Since what happened in Nairobi involves a "fashionable" religious
conflict, big media blew it out of proportion, it seems.

--c.a.

--

Carlos A. Afonso
CGI.br (www.cgi.br)