Publishing the transcipt

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Mon Jan 11 20:26:01 CET 2010

Sorry for chiming in late - I'm with the no transcripts crowd, in part for reasons others have mentioned, and in part also because I honestly don't think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

While transparency is an excellent thing, I think that in this case we achieve it by (a) having a recording, and (b) following up with either notes or public discussions.

In other words, transparency (especially for its own sake) doesn't mean that *everything* is always recorded in numerous forms/media and published. Disclosure, openness and the ability (real and perceived) to speak freely should be sufficient in this case.

My two (jetlagged) cents' worth,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

From: Rosemary Sinclair <Rosemary.Sinclair at ATUG.ORG.AU>
To:<NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
Date: 1/11/2010 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: Publishing the transcipt
Hi Avri and everyone....

Back from holidays and with good internet access

For me - I would say NO transcripts - I never use them....

And sometimes I say things only to find myself changing my mind if
someone says something more sensible - the purpose of discussion!

If the "mike" was always open in front of me maybe I would be more
"media circumspect" - not good for free flowing discussion...

In analogue mode, at many of the Board meetings I attend the practice is
to record decisions not discussions to encourage people to put their
views...

Cheers

Rosemary

Rosemary Sinclair
Managing Director, ATUG
Chairman, INTUG
T: +61 2 94958901  F: +61 2 94193889
M: +61 413734490
Email: rosemary.sinclair at atug.org.au
Skype: rasinclair

Please visit the ATUG website for Updates and Information
www.atug.com.au