Vaikojimmerrs arise!

Rosemary Sinclair Rosemary.Sinclair at ATUG.ORG.AU
Mon Jan 11 07:43:56 CET 2010

Hi all

>From a similar discussion in another sector...

Cheers

Rosemary

please see John Kay's article in today's FT where he also talks about functional separation in relation to financial services:

"We made a mistake in the closing decades of the 20th century. We removed restrictions that had imposed functional separation on financial institutions. This led to businesses riddled with conflicts of interest and culture, controlled by warring groups of their own senior employees. The scale of resources such businesses commanded enabled them to wield influence to create a - for them - virtuous circle of growing economic and political power. That mistake will not be easily remedied, and that is why I view the new decade with great apprehension. In the name of free markets, we created a monster that threatens to destroy the very free markets we extol.."

Rosemary Sinclair
Managing Director, ATUG
Chairman, INTUG
T: +61 2 94958901  F: +61 2 94193889