brief report on NCSG Policy Discussion Wednesday 6 January

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Jan 10 08:45:32 CET 2010

Think I can clear something up here, it may lead to progress.

Here is where I think both you and Avri are simply missing critical details of the cross-ownership/joint marketing controversy. Hope that doesn't sounds critical, it's not intended as such, it took me a long time to figure it out, which is why my position appeared to you to change.

The weird thing about this controversy, as I've tried to make clear several times, is that there is no such thing as "no change" and no simple "status quo" that we can use as a benchmark. Both the registry position AND the registrar position could be characterized as an extension of the status quo or as a change. The terms of various contracts vary across registry contracts and over the years. There are loopholes in the policy that permit things that the registries don't like, and which they would like changed.

So, Rec. 19 merely calls for separation of registries and registrars at the technical, contractual level and for equal access. The policies I proposed in the NCUC position statement maintain such separation and retain equal access, so there is no conflict with Rec. 19 whatsoever. The policies proposed by the registries, ALSO maintain separation and thus do not conflict with Rec. 19.

So if BOTH sides in the controversy can legitimately claim that there are consistent with Rec. 19, why not adopt the position that seems to make it easier for new, smaller TLDs to enter the market, and more likelyt that they will be viable, and which allows for more intense competition to exist at the back-end registry level? That's the rationale behind the position paper.

Hope this is clearer now.