Current status of STI work

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Tue Feb 23 00:26:30 CET 2010

Hi All,

I wanted to share an update on the STI -- the Special Trademarks Issues
Committee that worked nonstop from Seoul through early Dec. to re-think
and re-write the Trademark Clearinghouse and Uniform Rapid Suspension
(originally proposals of the IRT). Our STI Team - Wendy, Konstantinos,
Robin & I- worked to make the proposals fairer, more balanced and with
much more due process.

Here's the latest: the STI proposals went before the public and comments
were due at the end of January. The comment summary was issued by Staff
a week ago. It is posted at:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/summary-analysis-special-trademarks-issues-report-15feb10-en.pdf
. In a nutshell, it says: "The recommendations contained in the GNSO STI
Report reflect the carefully negotiated consensus position of the STI
drafting team... Staff's approach ... is to adopt /substantially all /of
the GNSO-STI Model." /*Hooray -- hard effort, cooperation and
negotiation make a difference!*/

Now ICANN has adopted the STI proposals in two more details pieces --
two final proposals on the Clearinghouse and URS now open for public
comment. They are posted at: http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#urs
and http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#tmc Comments are due by
April 1^st .

*/I would recommend that NCUC appoint a small team to:/*

*+ strongly support the work of ICANN in adopting a fairer and more
balanced approach (!),*

*+ review these final proposals carefully,*

*+ determine whether the final reports adopt all of the carefully
negotiating positions of the STI, including implementation details
(details matter!),*

*+ offer changes, if any, needed to better align the final Staff reports
with the STI work, and *

*+ support our greatest contributions, including limiting the
Clearinghouse to registered federal/regional trademarks and text marks. *

Overall, it has been a great group effort and we are in the final round!

All the best,

Kathy