[ncsg-policy] Fwd: [] outstanding IDNG discussions: 1. confusingly similar TLD string / 2. IDN gTLD WG Charter

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Fri Feb 19 23:26:17 CET 2010

Thanks for sharing this, Avri,

It sounds as though the discussion on confusing similarity is going way
beyond the guidance of the initial GNSO Council report -- to say that
"“.arigato” and “.ありがとう” read and understood as the same and thus
likely considered confusingly similar," in particular example.

The point of gTLD expansion is to enable competition among strings that
*users* can adopt as part of the identifiers / locators for their own
goods and services, not to signify their origin with a given class of
registry services.  The trademark analysis is mistaken if it assesses
everything from the after-the-dot perspective, and forgets that users
need a wide range of relatively generic options in order to create their
own string.TLD identifiers.

Hope this can add to the discussion.
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
phone: +1.914.374.0613
Fellow, Silicon Flatirons Center at University of Colorado Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
https://www.torproject.org/