Update on charters etc...

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Dec 15 22:43:25 CET 2010

Thanks very much for this update, Avri, which conforms with my recollection of the meeting as well.

With thanks to Ray and Avri, I am also optimistic that we are close to putting this chapter (of constant fussing over charters) behind us so we can get on with the real work of advancing noncommercial interests in policy at ICANN.

Best,
Robin

On Dec 15, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During the Cartagena meeting I promised that once I got out of the rush I would write an update to the membership on the status of the Stakeholder Group charter discussions.
>
> First, as was announced on this list earier, two events have occurred, or are occurring, with respect to Constituencies in formation.
>
> A) With respect to NPOC, the Not-for-profit Operational Concerns constituency, after the comments received and the discussions we engaged in, the NPOC constituency-in-formation made certain changes in their name and in their basic charter statement.  Based on those changes the NCSG-EC approved NPOC as a Candidate Constituency in the NCSG.  I have attached a copy of NPOC's updated charter to this message which Amber recently sent to the NCSG-EC.
>
> B) Based on discussions between Alex Gakuru and Beau Brendler, both NCSG members, there is an intention for them to combine their two efforts, the Consumer Interest-Group and the Consumer Constituency, into a single constituency-in-formation.  Once they have reworked their charters into a single charter, the NCSG-EC will review it with an eye to renewing the Consumer Interest-Group's Candidacy status in the name of the newly combined effort, which I sort of assume will be Consumer Constituency.
>
> On Thursday last several of us had a meeting with members of the Board's Structural Improvement Committee (SIC) to discuss how to bring the entire charter issue to a successful close.  All those on the NCSG-EC and NCSG-Policy groups who were in Cartagena were invited to the meeting.  It was attended by Amber, Debbie, Mary, Robin, Wendy and me.  From the Board: Jonne Soininen, George Sadowsky, Mike Silber and Ray Plzak who is Chair of the SIC .  From the staff:  Samantha Eisner from Legal council and David Olive, VP of Policy and I think Olof Nordling attended.
>
> The SIC members indicated that in general the main issue pending was their desire to codify a general process for Constituency formation that would work across all Stakeholder Groups.  This would need to be completed before they approved our charter. They indicated that they had an advanced draft on this, and though we have not seen it yet, they assured us that it was very much in keeping with our charter's proposals of:
>
> - Approval of new constituencies by the Stakeholder groups with oversight by the Board
> - A two Stage process: Candidacy and Full status
> - Required conditions for being accepted as candidates
> - Required conditions, including activities, for reaching full status.

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org