a useful neologism - crowdstamping

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Fri Aug 6 15:38:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

Then again maybe you are right about ICANN seeing itself as a country with sovereign rights, e.g.  to recognize the existence of other counties.  Under board decisions last night was the following:

	a.  Occupied Palestine Territory

Whereas, the Occupied Palestinian Territory is a country currently listed in the ISO 3166-1 standard.

Whereas, فلسطين ("Falasteen"), encoded as "xn--ygbi2ammx", is a string that has been deemed to appropriately represent the Occupied Palestinian Territory through the IDN Fast Track process.

Whereas, ICANN has received a request for delegation of فلسطين. to the Ministry of Telecom and Information Technology of the Palestinian National Authority.

Whereas, ICANN has reviewed the request, and has determined that the proposed delegation would be in the interests of the local and global Internet communities.

RESOLVED (2010.08.05.14), the proposed delegation of the فلسطين. domain to the Ministry of Telecom and Information Technology is approved.

I have absolutely no issue with the board having following the Fast Track process where ISO 3166-1 listing + technical requirements means being added to the root. Well I have issues with the Fast track, but they have nothing to do with xn--ygbi2ammx".  But to have the ICANN Board recognize them as a country as opposed to as a territory, which under International Law is what they still are,  is a bit bemusing, and perhaps goes someway to making your argument about some in ICANN's view of the organization's importance and role in the world.

a.